Thursday, August 19, 2010

My son is 9 months old and still not sitting by himself any advice?

I took my son to health visitor for an eight month checkup. The health visitor advised me that my son should have been able to sit up at this point but he struggled and was falling to the side and back. He is tall and has a stocky frame. He is now 9 months and is still not putting his arms out to stop himself from falling. I myself am not overly concerned as i think he is taking his own time, and other things and other actions are developing as normal.Although any advice to help him to learn to sit would be appreciated?My son is 9 months old and still not sitting by himself any advice?
Don't worry!





My son is 9 months old and I'm being nagged into next week by my Health Visitor because he hasn't made any ';word'; sounds yet (other than ';aa!'; ';aa!'; ';aa!';) and hasn't got any teeth! Plus he won't eat finger foods (still prefers pureed food) and is still a monster for the boob! He'd live off breastfeeds if he could!!





He didn't sit unsupported until he was nearly 8 months and then it happened all of a sudden, he just started doing it! The next week he was pulling himself up to standing.





I bet your little man will just really surprise you by doing it when you are least expecting it!





One thing that helped my son was having a little semicircular cushion that I put around him when he was sitting to support him. It got him used to sitting upright and helped him find his balance. He also enjoyed playing in his travel cot/playpen (Graco Pack n Play) and that seemed to really help him as he learned about balance in a safe environment (we padded the bottom with an old duvet to make it nice and soft for when he toppled over).My son is 9 months old and still not sitting by himself any advice?
Different children develop at different times. Although there is a guideline for 'normal', I wouldn't worry so much right now. You did say he is progressing just fine in other areas as 'normal'. If he's still not doing it by 12 mths, I would definatley be getting on the doctor about it.
How much tummy time does he do each day? Tummy time strengthens the muscles that it takes to hold up that head and neck... maybe start with putting him on his tummy a little more. Also, if you have a boppy pillow, put him in the middle of it... it gives him a little stability (and cushion if he topples) but ultimatly he's sitting on his own.
I seriously think you have nothing to worry about. But if u were concerned try giving him toys to play with where he needs to be at the height of sitting to be able to play with them it may help it may not.. It's all going to depend on him.
work with him
Just work with him, support him as minimally as you can. Also grocery carts work well because there are lots of interesting things to see and they can hold on to lots of different places.





Holding his hands while he is sitting in a stroller/bouncy chair and encouraging him to pull up can also help.
My daughter didn't sit up by herself until she was 14 months old! (The same time she started walking.) I don't know what makes certain babies sit upright without any problems, but I'm a proud mommy of a late bloomer myself, and I know the feeling or worrying. Don't stress! Eventually he will get the hang of it and lose his fear. These days they have something called a Bumbo seat. Try that and see how he likes it. He may realize that sitting up gives a whole new perspective to his little world, and may try sitting up on his own. Good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment