Thursday, August 19, 2010

Advice for a new mum-to-be?

I am 5 weeks pregnant today. My GP has refered me to a gyno/obstetrician - only problem is I can't get in until 14 weeks. Do you think this is too long to wait? When should you really start seeing one?





I can see another one at 8 weeks, but they will be away when I am due, so I am thinking that is not worth it.Advice for a new mum-to-be?
the 8 week appointment is when you get to hear the heartbeat. take your vitamins. there's no NEED to go right now other than a basic check-up. they might do some blood work. so if you want to wait until 14 weeks as long as you're feeling ok, then wait.





there are a million OB/GYNs out there. why is it a choice between 2 drs? i'm sure there's a great one where you live that can see you at 8 weeks AND be there for the birth of your baby.Advice for a new mum-to-be?
I'm a 58 year old grandma here and I gave birth to my two sons many years ago. I agree that the 14 weeks is way too long to wait. Not that there is any real danger here but it is best to have a physician monitoring your health right from the start. That way they can see if you need prenatal vitamins (almost always recommended) and they can make sure there are no concerns. I had one doctor for my first son and delivered 4 weeks after my due date. His partner in the office delivered my son since it was my doctor's day off. Then I found that the partner was even more trained in OB/GYN and changed to have him for my second pregnancy. Wouldn't you know, I delivered on that doctor's day off... and the first doctor delivered my second son. I teased them that they were both trying to avoid helping me deliver but in the long run I got them both involved. And both sons were delivered with no problems. Considering I married at 18, had first son at 19 and second one at 20 and just the night before I turned 21, I was so young and naive. But I did just fine. You will too, but find a doctor who can coach you through the first few weeks as well as the rest of the months ahead. And best of luck for a perfect delivery and a healthy baby!
If you have no choice, I would suggest you start with Folic acid and pregnant vitamins immediately. Also avoid spicy food and soft cheese.





If you can see another gyno for now and switch over at 14 weeks - that will be the best - just to make sure everything's fine.
That is a little bit long to wait, i would see the other one a 8 weeks, then change back over, they are a nightmare, they cant leave it that long surely??
I had my first OB/GYN visit at 14 weeks. It is a little long to wait but you should be fine. I had a very healthy happy baby girl in January. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah...the sooner you see a OBGYN the better...14 weeks is too long...

No comments:

Post a Comment