Sunday, August 22, 2010

When you are giving birth what advice does the doctor give you on breathing and etc?

I'm writing a screenplay and trying to get an accurate sequence of eventsWhen you are giving birth what advice does the doctor give you on breathing and etc?
there r shows that you can watch...TLC has a show called a baby story, monday thru friday 1 to 2:30pm and 2:30pm to 3pm a show called Birth Day. you can get a few pointer from there.When you are giving birth what advice does the doctor give you on breathing and etc?
My doctors told me to relax because it would help me dialate. But I was in so much pain I couldn't relax.


With my second baby they told me to put my legs back when I pushed. But I told them to leave me alone and I pushed with my legs down.
Ha ha ha ha!!! The Dr couldn't care less! It is the labor and delivery nurses that will be the ones who will be the main assitants in the birthing process. And if it is a kindhearted Dr, he will make sure to send in a good nurse. But there is also the birthing coach, which can be the man, a best friend, a doula, (which is a woman who is kinda like a midwife, but is there only to help with breathing and focusing, pain management, and stuff like that.)





As far as how to breath, if that is what you are needing to know, I have had two children without epidurals and here is how it happens, and from what I can tell is pretty standard.





In the first stage of labor, contractions start out as uncomeforteable and build over the course of say 5 hours or so. I also ask to get my water broken, as that does not happen frequently at home, or in the store, or at all like in the movies. But anyhow, They build steadily on till I have to find an object in the room and focus on it, and mentaly make all my muscles starting at my neck relax all the way down to my bum. Meanwhile I have to breath loooong and slow, and it gets pretty rough to focus on keeping my cool. My breath comes in jerkily, and I have to hold on to my poor husband, (who is terrified of childbirth, and hovers anxiously around my head.)


Then after that goes on for an hour, The dr, who I have seen all of twice that day, comes in to check, and he gives another estimate of how long, says something encouraging, like ';Are you sure you don't want an epidural?'; And I say, no, that I'll see if I can go a little longer. And he says, Ok, just say whenever I want one, and that he has it all set up with the anesthesiologist, so just say the word. And by this time I am at like 6 or 7 cm, and it wont be long now. So it gets harder and harder, and then I get kinda panicky, And Kevin scurries off to find the nurse, who is taking a much needed lunch break, and she comes and checks for about the hundredth time that day and says that she will go call the Dr. He hurries in and then comes all the cool action like we see on TV. There are nurses pouring in, and trolly carts and tray tables are being wheeled out, lights are being turned on that we never even knew were there, and the bottom half of the bed is folded down. I am starting to whimper and squeal now, and it is impossible to hold still.


Then they do the unthinkable, and hike up my legs into birthing stirrups, and start getting ready for me to push, which I am already starting. And then they say Push! and I do, and they count to ten, and keep saying encouragements to me. then there is a tiny short break and Push! this goes on for anywhere from 3 minutes to ove an hour depending on the woman. I am about a 30-45 minute kinda girl. and then, when I am telling them that I really am too tired to go on, they say, Oh, but the baby is just about here! (easy for them to say!) and then I set my teeth and PUSH!!! And then I get an episiotemy, which is when they have to cut to make more room for the baby to be born. And the baby is born and they all cheer for me, and Kevin tells me that he is so proud, and flits between me and the baby, and I lay there and have to deliver the placenta, and get stitched up, and the baby and I get to meet, and then the rest is another story.
They tell me not to scream cause it doesnt help and it just waste energy. Deep breaths in and out is really all they tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment