Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Looking for advice for a good day hike near pheonix. I,ll be visiting family in january. im from ohio?

i want to see the desert terrain something in the 5 - 10 mile range moderate difficultyLooking for advice for a good day hike near pheonix. I,ll be visiting family in january. im from ohio?
Dreamy Draw Recreation Area - great views of the desert! It is a popular hiking, jogging %26amp; mountain biking area. It's a moderate hike, but there is no water along the trails, so take plenty of water, even though it's not hot in January in Phoenix. There are 2 or 3 marked trails. You will likely find many people on the weekends around the picnic areas, but once you venture off onto a trail for a mile or two, you won't run into as many people.





I have provided a link to it below.Looking for advice for a good day hike near pheonix. I,ll be visiting family in january. im from ohio?
I recommend squaw peak, take the 51 freeway and exit Lincoln/Glendale and head east a few miles down you'll see the squaw peak pkwy on the left.
The White Tank Mountains have some nice hikes, and not very far from Phx.


like a 20- 25 mi. drive.


I wish I could remember the hike/ climb I did up there.


It went up a mild grade to about 1,500 feet, great views, and virtually no crowds.


There are some PETROGLYPHS, too which are marked on the trail map.


I went up Camslback mtn.


Ofcourse Iwas not prepared for a hike that day, Broke my sandals.


Made it to the top anyway...I am a diehard.


But ...well I mean it was not really like a wilderness hike.


More of a climb up some steep parts and some or a lot of STEPS/STAIRS in other lower parts.


I had to find someplace to ...u-know, uh get rid of some coffee.


I saw a large opening in a rock, which seemed out of site, there were no people over there...As I was about to go over and do my business,. I realized why there were no people...It was the LARGEST BEE HIVE in that rocky Crag I have ever seen, and there was a constant thick stream of bees going in and out.


OOOH FREAKY SCARY. So I did not like CAMELBACK TOO MUCH...


At the white Tanks, on the Phx, side, I was hiking up the mountain hike trail, whatever the name is.


I like/ love rocks...There was really not much more than Quartz and basalt around there.


So I noticed a fairly large piece of quartz...not a great find, very common, but I thought I might get it for a memory piece.


I picked it up, and I saw a SCORPION quickly crawl back into his hole...


I guess he did not want to get stung by this SCORPIO...lol.


I did leave him his piece of Quartz just as I found it.


There are some nice trails out around Lake Pleasant too.


Out there, just past the turn off for the main park about a mile or so after you get on the dirt road...you can find, if you are interested, CHALCEDONY ROSES. Basically little pieces of agate, coiled sort of in the shape of a rose, from about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter.


I found some blue to to blue gray pieces, some slightly pink, like rose quartz, but mostly, milky to creamy white.


Some were just like little droplets, which reminded me of PETRIFIED HAILSTONES.


Well Have fun.


I think you are very lucky to get to go to phx. this time of year.


DJH


If you have time for the drive Be sure and take the SCENIC way to SEDONA, go thru JEROME AZ. my FAVORITE city so far in AZ. at 5,500 feet, you have the most AWESOME VIEW of the SEDONA VALLEY.


GO see Don King, and his Mule/ Donkey Jasper at the GOLD KING MINE.


It only costs like $3.50 and there is a WHOLE GHOST TOWN you can tour, plus DON has over 300 VINTAGE VEHICLES, mostly big trucks and stuff like that. about 35 to 40% of his vehicles work/run.


Plus one of my favorite attractions is a BEAUTIFUL SLAB of petrified wood, someone donated to Don, it is black, red, yellow...etc. and Don't tell don, but I was up above the Ghost town, and I found a spot loaded with well some Very Low grade Turquoise, and the MOTHER LODE...a piece of MALACHITE, green semi-precious gemstone...it weighed 2 and 1/2 pounds....


Sorry for babbling.


I think I miss AZ.


DJH
Phoenix. Try up around canyon lake. Then take the ferry boat tour.Has 200 foot cliffs straight up. Used to fish it a lot
I would recommend:





Squaw peak - there are a few trails in this area that range from super easy to moderate





Camelback Mountain - There are two trails here, both are a bit tough but one is a bit of rock hopping, the other is just an all out use your arms climb.





Pinnacle Peak (scottsdale) - This is a GORGEOUS hike for desert scenery and about 3.75 miles total. It is moderate but the scenery makes you forget you are hiking.





McDowell Mountains - There are guided hikes here that take you into some beautiful areas of Scottsdale
I'd highly recommend a drive down South Cental Ave. in Phoenix and into South Moutntain Park. Tons of great hiking trails throughout and there's a nearby Ranger Station with maps to give you some experienced suggestions for your day hikes. Plenty of varied AZ dessert terrain, easy parking and their many trails are well maintained year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment