Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I am currently getting a degree in CSI. Is it true that I have to work as a police officer 1st? Any advice?

My degree will be a bacehlors in crime scene investigations, minor in forensic psychology. I do plan on going to get a masters immediately after. But from what I'm reading, before I can even work in investigations (even for the government), I need to work as an officer first, get 1 to 2 years of experience of my belt, and THEN apply for the job. Any advice that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.I am currently getting a degree in CSI. Is it true that I have to work as a police officer 1st? Any advice?
You don't have to be a police officer to take part in crime scene investigations. However, many police department's crime scene investigators are police officers. There are various support positions related to evidence collection and processing that are performed by people that are not police officers. You should definitely obtain an advanced degree if possible. Learn as much as you can, and earn the highest GPA that you can.





If you want to be a police detective, you must first become a police officer. However, you can become a federal criminal investigator without being a police officer. You often need at least a four year degree. You can qualify for many federal criminal investigator jobs with an advanced degree. It helps if you have served in the military. Check out the link below.





http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.a鈥?/a>





There are many things to consider when thinking about becoming a law enforcement officer. Check out http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com for excellent information and advice about becoming a law enforcement officer.I am currently getting a degree in CSI. Is it true that I have to work as a police officer 1st? Any advice?
Absolutely not true, but it is a great benefit. The problem is that if you are competing against somebody who does have experience as a sworn officer and the right education credentials, you will end up losing to them.





You can always apply for a technician job, then work your way up the ladder. Most mid-sized departments seem to have turnover in the technician ranks, usually because of long hours and low pay.





Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment